In this blog you can read more about Server CALs and whether and when you need them. Additionally, we provide a few tips for companies and their most optimal CAL solution.
What is a User CAL?
A User CAL is an access license for a user. This means that a user gets access to the server with that license. A User CAL is a license that gives the right to the user, to access the services of the server. A User CAL must be purchased for every user that wants to access the server. This way, a user can access the server via multiple devices, for example on their laptop and their phone.
What is a Device CAL?
A Device CAL is an access license for a device. This means that a device gets access to the server with that license. A Device CAL is a license that gives the right to the device, to access the services of the server. A Device CAL must be purchased for every device that should access the server. This way, a device can get access to the server, with different users on that device.
Do I need CALs on my Server?
Yes, you usually need CALs on your servers in order to use the server. You only don't need this on the 2 Core SQL Servers. If you only purchase the server, for example Windows Server 2022, you don't have access to the server just yet. This is because you need to buy CALs and once you acquire them, you will get access to your server. We, from Digi License, provide the following CALs:
- RDS 2022 User CALs
- RDS 2022 Device CALs
- Windows Server 2022 User and Device CALs
- Exchange Server 2019 User and Device CALs
- SQL Server 2019 User and Device CALs
Do I need User CALs or Device CALs?
We receive this question a lot. The answer depends on two factors: how many users and devices you have within your company. If you have more devices than users, for example 20 devices and 15 users, User CALs are the way to go. If you have more users than devices, for example 25 users and 10 devices, Device CALs are the way to go. Check out the picture below to see another example of this:
Buy cheap Server CAL Licenses:
If you are looking to purchase a Server with CALs, look no further than Digi License. We sell these licenses for up to 70% cheaper from the original price. Take a look at our product range.
Summary & Conclusion:
- User CALs give access to the server for a user.
- Device CALs give access to the server for a device.
- You will usually need 1 of those 2 for your server because otherwise, you don't have access to the server.
- Whether you need User CALs or Device CALs, depends on the amount of users and devices your company has.
- If your company has more devices than users, you should acquire User CALs.
- If your organisation has more users than devices, you should acquire Device CALs.